We often get enquiries here at the clinic regarding hay fever injections. Anyone who suffers from hay fever will know all too well the horrible symptoms that plague them every single year…
It can be really debilitating and impact on your day to day life. We’ve had patients in previous years say they feel like hay fever is killing them their symptoms are so bad.
Causes of Hay Fever
Hay fever is caused by an allergic reaction to pollen, which is released by trees, grass, and weeds during the spring and summer months. When pollen comes into contact with the nose, eyes, or throat of a person who is allergic to it, the immune system overreacts and releases chemicals such as histamine, which causes the symptoms of hay fever.
Symptoms of Hay Fever
The symptoms of hay fever can vary in severity and can include:
- Runny nose
- Congested or blocked nose
- Itchy nose
- Itchy eyes
- Watery eyes
- Itchy throat
- Ear congestion
Symptoms of hay fever can significantly impact a person’s quality of life, making it difficult to work or enjoy outdoor activities.
Treatments for Hay Fever
There are several treatments available for hay fever, which can help to alleviate the symptoms and improve quality of life. Some of the most common treatments include:
- Antihistamines: These medications work by blocking the release of histamine, which causes the symptoms of hay fever. They can be taken in tablet or liquid form and are available over the counter.
- Nasal Sprays: These sprays contain corticosteroids, which help to reduce inflammation in the nasal passages and alleviate symptoms such as congestion and runny nose.
- Decongestants: These medications work by narrowing blood vessels in the nasal passages, which can help to reduce swelling and congestion. They are available in tablet or liquid form.
- Immunotherapy: This treatment involves exposing a person to small amounts of allergens over time, which can help to build up a tolerance to them and reduce the severity of hay fever symptoms.
Kenalog Injection for Hay Fever
For people who suffer from severe hay fever symptoms, traditional treatments such as antihistamines or nasal sprays may not provide enough relief. In these cases, the Kenalog injection can be a highly effective treatment. It contains the synthetic corticosteroid triamcinolone acetonide, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication. The injection is administered directly into the muscle by a healthcare professional and can provide relief from hay fever symptoms for up to 12 weeks.
Kenalog is a strong prescription medication. Check your provider’s professional credentials, where they obtained the prescription medication from, and their experience of administering it. It should be considered as a last resort after trying other solutions, and your healthcare provider should check this with you.
Hay fever can be a challenging condition to manage, but with the right treatment, it is possible to alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life. Whether you prefer traditional treatments such as antihistamines and nasal sprays or are interested in exploring the Kenalog injection, it is important to discuss your options with a healthcare professional. With the right treatment plan, you can enjoy the spring and summer months without the discomfort of hay fever symptoms.
At The Dr Jenni Clinic, we have a team of GPs and nurses who are qualified and experienced. We provide hay fever solutions in from our luxurious private medical clinic in Northamptonshire and we have patients visit us from as far as Leicester and London.
Above all, make sure you choose a provider who is regulated by the CQC (Care Quality Commission) and who has a doctor or a nurse prescriber on site if you are being administered prescription medication.